official dedication of Williams Arena took place on Saturday March 4,
1950. The dedication ceremony was held during the half time
of a Minnesota - Wisconsin basketball game. "At that
time Dr. Henry L. Williams, Jr., son of the famed Dr. Henry L. Williams
who was head football coach at Minnesota from 1900 through 1921 will
acknowledge the naming of this vast structure in honor of his late father." Unfortunately,
the Gophers went on to loose to Wisconsin 54-60.
Some of the special guests at the ceremony included "all
captains of Minnesota football teams coached by Dr. Williams, all hockey
captains from 1922 until the
present, the captains of all Minnesota basktball teams since 1896."